Sunday

Math of the functional alcoholic

How can a man, who hikes 20 miles a week for 3 months, still gain over 10 pounds? The numbers are terrifying. Sadly, the facts I am about to present to you are accurate.

Calories burned:
I usually hiked at least 6 1/2 miles at a time, 3 times a week - 35 times total during the summer. My typical hiking time per trip was 2 1/2 hours. With my pack, that's burning about 800 calories an hour. So I burned 2,000 per trip, times 35 trips. That equals 70,000 calories burned over the summer.

Calories consumed.
I usually drank 60 beers a week (or more) for 12 weeks. That's 720 beers over the summer; or 67 1/2 gallons. A typical beer of my preference runs 160 calories each. That's 115,200 calories imbibed over the summer.

115,200 calories consumed minus 70,000 calories burned. That a surplus of 45,200 calories. Now divide that by about 3,500 calories per pound of fat. So my beer drinking accounted for the13 pounds of fat put on my ass. The scale confirms my calculations.

Oh but it is worse! I gained 13 pounds over the summer. Had I not drank all that beer and still hiked; those 70,000 calories burned would have caused me to loose 20 pounds. So in all actuality, my voracious beer consumption caused me to be 33 pounds heavier today than I should be.

Guess how many pounds over weight I am... 36. So had I been able to resist the irresistible call of beer, I would only be 3 pounds over weight right now.

Worse yet, all that beer cost over $500.

Yes, I realize the absurdity of my beer habit. I have decided to take action and take back control of my life.

I am switching to vodka

No comments:

Post a Comment